Sunday, March 16, 2014

Chocolatey Vegan Goodness

Sorry guys, I know it's been forever since my last post; life's been extremely busy as of late, but not in a bad way.  It's just been one of those, have to get to it at what counts kind of time.  Anywho, a week ago I decided to make a chocolate dessert.  It all came from a conversation I had with a girlfriend of mine; I wanted to show her that one can be vegan and yet still indulge in some savory goodness of sweets.  So began my little baking session into what turned out to be quite tasty.

First things first: when it comes to desserts and baking, I've always got to set the mood.  So reggae?  Check!  Incense?  Check!  Plenty of windex for post flour warfare?  Double Check!!  Most of the ingredients are cheap and easy to and can be seen here.  Besides the fact that I love chocolate, the budget friendliness of this treat attracted me to it as well. 

For those who find baking to be a pain and messy, well I can tell you one thing: this cake is very easy to make.  Messy?  Hmmmm, I guess that depends on the strategy you take to combat such a nemesis.  I always tend to lose my battle with flour, so I have the utmost respect for said ingredient.  Back to the cake....

After mixing it all in a square pyrex dish, you just set it in the oven for 40 minutes and relax, all the while thing of other vegan side dishes that could accompany such a sugary treat.  I will warn you of one thing: this cake has ALOT of sugar!  How much you may ask?  Exactly one cup!  So it may be vegan and all, but it borders on diabetic.

What I ended up with at the end of it all was a not so fluffy cake.  It turned out more like a hybrid of a brownie and cake; in other words it was a dessert going through an identity crisis.  The best thing though is that the cake still remains soft and moist even after a few days in the fridge.  Don't tell me you thought I could eat it all in one day???  I am a glutton, but even us gluttons have our limits.  ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment