Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chocolate and Tofu Never Looked So Good

Culinary disaster or genius??  Ok ok, I'm not going to blow up my kitchen on this, but I have found a tasty dessert I plan to make for Thursday.  No better way to catch up with friends than some tasty and nutritious (cough cough) Frosty No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies!!!  I found this tasty treat on the blog Ohsheglows.com.  I would totally recommend that you check it out. 



They're no bake cookies so don't worry anyone, the kitchen and the surrounding block are all safe from any potential kitchen screwups!!  I wanted to venture into some more elaborate post dinner meals, but unfortunately, the budget this week is a bit tight.

However, I've also found a great dinner idea that's not only economical but looks extremely tasty!  It's an orange tofu with peppers and rice.  Nothing too extravagant, but again, I'm trying to stay financially in line these next few days.  This tasty meal was grabbed by a blog that was recommended by a commenter: Veganricha.com.  Dinner for Wednesday?  Check!

Both these sites offer great ideas for all seasoned veteran or rookie vegans.  One thing I have noticed though while on this trail to a healthier life is that this path is covered in expenses.  I'm enjoying making all these meals and exploring different tastes and flavors; the price though on some of these items have surprised me.  With a little bit of hunting and effort however, I've noticed that one can deal with the cost; I for one need to go to the farmers market ALOT more. 

Living by yourself and all the while on top of a supermarket tends to shift you towards an on demand lifestyle.  I want some eggs? Peppers? Industrial size containers of salsa?  A 30 sec trip and I'm there, all the while paying premium prices for a luxury that at times pays off.  Yet ever since I started this diet, it's seldom that I find what I need at an economical price in my local grocery store.  So farmer's market here I come!!! 

Step two that this gastronomical change forces me to do: organize.  Most people who know me know that I'm not the ummm, most structured person out there.  Hmmm, my list making skills are going to have to improve and fast!!  So now besides my health, this diet is already making me improve in other areas as well.  So far it's a win win all around.

Thankfully though, for these two meals I've already got about half the ingredients stocked up, so the dent won't be too big in my wallet.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out and you can be the judge of the outcome: my culinary ego lays in your hands.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you enjoyed those sites! veganricha is one of my favorites. Publix is a very expensive place to buy food. I recommend Buford Farmers Market. They have EVERYTHING and more, reasonably priced, and they have a large organic section. Be sure to have your phone with you. It's fun to get ingredients that you have to Google to figure out how to use them.

    ReplyDelete