Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day Trough and Aftermath

Well yesterday was Valentine's Day, Single's Freedom Day, or whatever you'd like to call it.  Consumer driven holidays aside, it was also my free meal day!!!  Cupid takes a side seat to my food! 

When I celebrate, I like to go big; and in this case it was a fish and veggie explosion!!!  Once a week I stop by mom's house to help her out with some things around the house, and catch up over a meal.  Honestly, nothing beats a mom's home cooked meal, but for V-day and to celebrate a week of going vegan, I settled for a neighborhood shrine that is the equivalent to buffet heaven for me.  I just pretty much oinked majorly on some salmon, sushi, tilapia and a vast array of veggies; I didn't want to overdo it TOO much so I used some restraint.  :-)

Incredibly enough I did have room for dinner later; even though I was able to enjoy my free meal, it was back to the vegan way for dinner and dessert.  I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's day because let's face it, one day shouldn't be labeled as the day of love while ignoring the rest of the year.  Quite a vegan smorgasbord was made at my house last night between myself and my date that included penne pasta with okra and sauce.  After a failed attempt on my part of finding the ingredients to make a cake from scratch in a repleted post ice storm supermarket, we had to settle for chocolate brownie mix with a homemade banana cream concoction.  I'm not a huge fan of baking, but ever since this vegan stage, I've started to enjoy it more due to the fact that you have to be creative with the ingredients that have to be replaced.  By the way, I think my food processor has now become my best friend.

You guys will have to forgive me; with all the pigging out that happened, I forgot to take pics of the meal.  Don't fret though!  I was able to snap one picture this morning of the pasta as my pre-work lunch. 

Apart from that, my dinner today was just a pre-made one I had ready; my work meals all consist of pretty much the same triage of things: rice and some kind of beans, veggies, and plantains. Nothing really to write home about, but tasty nonetheless.

Whatever you did for V-day or whatever you deem to call it in your book, I hope that it was atleast filled with gluttonous moments; I don't wanna feel like the only hog in the barn.  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to go ahead and give you some links that will hopefully help you in expanding your gastronomical adventures, vegan or not. I LOVE to cook, and I keep a lot of bookmarks in my recipe folder. Here are a few : http://www.messyvegetariancook.com/ http://www.veganricha.com/ http://lovelikeavegan.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/perfectly-fluffy-flaky-biscuits/ http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-vegan-experience-a-fancy-pants-meat-fit-for-vegan-royalty.html?ref=title

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!! I usually don't have time to cook on my work days so I usually use my days off as my time to explore different vegan routes. I can't wait to try out some of the recipes from your links. :-)

    ReplyDelete