Thursday, February 20, 2014

Seeds, Soy and Reggae

So I've come to learn an important lesson: tofu is tedious.  Wednesday night I tried my hand at the Orange Tofu and Pepper recipe I had found online and well.... I guess you could be the judge.

I started my dinner plans idea with a mind boggling run to the farmer's market; I forgot how big that place is.  It took me almost an hour, but I'm pretty happy about my $35 bounty.  Tonight I'm going to crack away at making those no bake cookies and friday I'm gonna take a stab at baking kale chips.  But on to the tofu...

I didn't stray too far off the recipe except for using thai chilli peppers instead of regular green ones.  What can I say?  I love me some spicy food!  I really did enjoy making this meal; cooking with some good reggae music sounding in the background is what I need as a good end of the day wind down.  I was surprised though on how long it took me to make the tofu.  All in all the meal took about an hour and some change to make; I'm not the most well versed with the soy compressed produce, so perhaps there's a faster way I'm yet to learn on how to pan sear some soy blocks.  Patience is definitely key to cooking tofu, especially having to flip every piece over; let's just say I wasn't blessed with much of it.


I split the green chillis down the middle to allow them to soak and let the seeds come and go as everything was stirred.  The sauce was very tasty and all organic!  I don't know what it is about sauces and dips, but I love making them from scratch.  Sure I could cheat and buy them already made, it would keep my kitchen from looking like a war zone, but half the fun is in figuring it all out and making it happen.

I don't think the outcome could compare to the original recipe, but it turned pretty good.  I was pleasantly surprised about how much kick those ten thai peppers added.  What's life without a little bit of spice?

After all that slicing, dicing and everything else, voila!  I had dinner!  Thoughts?






No comments:

Post a Comment